Microprocessor Adventures

After sitting on them for several months I dug out my Raspberry Pi and started tinkering again.
The projects will be documented separately as they are completed but my adventures so far have reminded me just how much I’ve forgotten over the years.

I wanted to set up a NTP server with a GPS clock source.
So I searched online and found a few people that have done this already, however the articles were a couple years old.
I picked up the required hardware but found the “recommended” items from the vendors to be somewhat incorrect.
I had the Ultimate GPS from Adafruit with an external antenna and a uFL to SMA adapter.
When I tried to put this together I found the antenna would not connect to the adapter as the adapter was a reverse polarity type.
So I went hunting and found the required adapter after searching several sites.
Even Adafruit links to the wrong adapter but their page says to check the connector and they offer another adapter cable.
So why don’t they just link to the right adapter in the first place?
So now I’m waiting for the order to arrive that has the required adapter cable.

I have not had to recompile the linux kernel since the 2.0 days.
Let’s just say that it is much easier now than it was.
Although I tried to get a cross-compiler setup for the Pi it failed, so I started compiling on the Pi itself.
Thankfully I was able to get the required source files and place them in the correct places so that I was able to just build the modules I needed rather than having to build the entire kernel.
So once I get the order in I’ll get back to that project.

All the parts I’ve ordered for the Raspberry Pi came “some assembly required”.
So I had to practice the old soldering skills.
Thankfully, like riding a bike, they came back relatively quickly and I did not ruin anything.

Another project I started on was setting up a DNS/DHCP server on an ODROID-U3.
This is a slick little machine and surprisingly fast.
I’ve setup a few DNS machines before so this is a trivial project.

I’m waiting on the ODROID-XU3 to see if it will make a suitable inbound email gateway.
In this case I’m using Postfix+Amavis+SpamAssassin+ClamAV.
The target network handles about 1,000 messages per day through their system.
The current system takes about 3 minutes to process a message by the time it goes through the white list, black list, anti-virus, and SPAM checks.
I want to add a grey list which should also cut down on the SPAM.
As it is I get a hand full of virus messages each day.

Now I just have to think of a use for the Arduino.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.