Looks like Bell is up to something again.
I just set an Out-of-Office auto responder for a client. Nothing special, done this many times.
So I sent a message to the user to test it, wait a few minutes, nothing happens.
Try again, nothing happens.
Hop on to the server and watch the logs. Send another test. I see the message come in, get forwarded to the user mailbox, a copy dropped into the archive, and the auto response generated.
However this is where things get weird. The auto responder message is rejected by Bell. Here’s the entry in the log file:
Dec 6 20:37:25 hermes01 postfix/smtp: 6FF263180200: firstname.lastname@example.org, relay=mxmta.owm.bell.net[188.8.131.52]:25, delay=1.2, delays=0.06/0.01/0.19/0.96, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mxmta.owm.bell.net[184.108.40.206] said: 554 EmptySenderRejected (in reply to end of DATA command))
However, using my gmail account works as expected and I receive the auto responder message saying the person is out of the office.